Come and Work with us at Fresh Cargo
If you are looking for a fun progressive company that believes in the value of people from head office to our producer groups then Fresh Cargo could be the place for you.
We are a family business, small and our heart is in the right place as we have aspirations to become big one day as we grow we want you to grow with us. We love watching people develop and you will get plenty of opportunity to do exactly that, as we offer a good program of training and travel.
You will receive
- 4 weeks holiday a year plus Bank Holidays
- An additional 1 week to visit one of our projects abroad paid after one years service
- Fresh Cargo pays all expenses but you must raise £250 towards your trip for ARC, it's a fair deal.
- Comprehensive training program with further training and development
- Pension with a contributory scheme after 2 years service
What we look for in a person is integrity and a history of helping others, it maybe you supported the school fate and helped raised money or maybe at University you were involved in an environmental awareness campaign. Maybe at the weekends you help in your local community or are a member of a not for profit organisation.
Fresh Cargo is all about giving and helping others through the compassion of fashion and in essence we stand for HOPE Honest, Open, Positive, Ethical shopping.
We love people that have a positive can do attitude and bring energy to the team and have the ability to think about others not just themselves.
So if this sounds the kind of place for you then please read on and we wish you all the best in your application. You can also find out about us and our history at about Fresh Cargo.
Current Vacancies: Trainee Graduate Fashion Designer (Full Time) or Fashion Designer (Part Time)
Looking for a fashion job, graduate fashion job, jobs in fashion, fashion designer jobs or a graduate design job in fashion or maybe just any fashion job? Phew! Then we may have the opportunity for you.
As a fashion designer job this role offers a wide range of creative challenges as you will be working on three brands Flip Flop and Fangs, Fresh Cargo and Maasai Treads. Flip Flop and Fangs is our youth brand targeting girls aged 13 to 21 and Fresh Cargo appeals to women 25 years and older. Maasai Treads is a recycled footwear brand that is made in Kenya working with a small group of craftsmen to create cool flip flops and other closed shoe products.
You will be working on a variation of product areas from casual wear, formal, bags, shoes as well as assisting in selections of jewellery as part of the fashion designer job or graduate fashion job. The trainee graduate fashion designer opportunity is full time and the program is two years long covering all aspects of fashion design including CAD, specification sheets, project management, range planning and forecasting. The full time designer role is part time three days a week and should move to full time within a year.
Graduate Design Job or Design Job Purpose
To manage the design and development of Fresh Cargo's product lines, creating successful fashion and accessories from research through to design, product development and sampling. Alongside this the candidate should be competent in designing brand promotional graphics for print and on line.
Principles of Graduate Design Job or Non Graduate Fashion Designer Jobs
- Flexible fashion designer with ability to apply design skills across multiple product areas (jersey, woven, footwear, knitwear).
- Ability to learn and grow potential new product areas (new to the business and/or new to you as a designer).
- Creative commercial eye, with the ability to adapt to the style of the companies brand Flip Flop and Fangs, Fresh Cargo and future projects.
- Strong Illustrative ability with a high standard of CAD skills by use of Photoshop / Illustrator.
- To Influence the creative direction of the brands in relation to innovative design and strong market trend knowledge.
Key Responsibilities within Fashion designer jobs
- To manage the design of all aspects of the Fresh Cargo and Flip Flop and Fangs brands, this may include managing other designers or own workload.
- To design new garment collections each season, backed up by research and mood boards. Includes design of garment shapes, graphic artwork and prints.
- Graphic design includes design of promotional banners and printed materials, catalogues and swing tickets and website artwork in keeping with the brand style.
- Keeping up to date with competitor updates, analysing market trends and ensuring product lines are relevant.
- Identifying potential new garment / product opportunities.
- To input product designs into detailed specification sheets with a high level of attention to detail.
- To liaise with factories and producer groups over sample-stage production issues and oversee sampling with ability to give accurate feedback. Overseas travel will be involved.
How to apply
Please send a covering letter with CV and a sample of your work, you should highlight in your covering letter why you wish to join Fresh Cargo and what you will bring to the company if you are accepted as a fashion designer or graduate fashion designer. You can upload your details below and good luck.
Closing Date: 31st August 2012
Why do I want to work for a Fair Trade company like Fresh Cargo?
So why bother working for us and not Topshop or Gucci? Wow, another great question! You really are up for this job in fashion with Fresh Cargo.
The company is founded by ethical fashion entrepreneur Rebecca Gray with the vision of making ethical fashion funky and inclusive, not elitist fair-trade. Fresh Cargo is a fair trade organisation, it is transparent in everything it does, ensuring that customers can purchase fair trade gifts and fair trade clothing with peace of mind. It’s a little dry, we know.
Or try it another way, have you:
- Ever felt there is a little bit more to life than just looking good?
- Thought “what can I do?” after watching the poverty adverts that are shown on TV?
- Questioned yourself when in a shop wondering how ethical can this product really be?
- Sat wondering why the world is so unbalanced and wondered to yourself why or how can you even the playing field?
- Felt concerned that fashion is pre-occupied with how you look, or selling any old sh*t at any cost even a human one?
- Wanted to be part of changing an industry, be part of a revolution and hold your head up high amongst family and friends and say, “I’m making a difference”
- Feel inspired? Right now, yes right now as you read this thinking, is this real? Can there actually be a cool trendy company with only one mission “to get the whole world buying fairly”!
Then guess what? You should apply!